A collection of random links to conferences (or any professional development opportunities) that look interesting or where I have attended and found value (in pro-d terms). I tend to favour Canadian first (budget issues) but I’ll list U.S.A, U.K. and some European options (especially if you participate in an online section or if you can cull articles, videos, notes, other resources).
You can suggest additions by completing a contact form – please share (and tell us whether you’re attending/presenting too?)
E-Learn 2017 – AACE
World Conference on E-Learning
October 17-20, 2017 Vancouver, BC
**Submit proposals by: June 10, 2017
A multi-disciplinary conference where you can learn more about the latest research, developments, and applications of all topics related to e-Learning.
Professor Linda Harasim, Simon Fraser University “Collaborative Learning: Designing 21st Century E-Learning”
Professor Ron Owston, York University “Artificial Intelligence”
World Conference on Online Learning:
Teaching in the Digital Age – Re-thinking Teaching & Learning
October 17-19, 2017 Toronto, Ontario
The 27th International Council for Open and Distance Education (ICDE) World Conference, hosted by Contact North. International delegates will explore new approaches to teaching and learning that respond to the needs of students and meet the UN Sustainable Development Goal of quality education for all. Five key areas:
June 21-23, 2017 Washington, DC
Final Call for Proposals – due May 1, 2017
AACE’s 2017 EdMedia conference doesn’t appear to have a focus or theme?
Line-up of speakers for keynotes:
- The Futures of Higher Education – Diana Oblinger, EDUCAUSE President Emeritus, USA
- Accelerating Human Imagination – Sheldon Brown, University of California at San Diego, USA
- Implications of Information Design for Technology-based Learning – Karen Schriver: KSA Communication Design & Research, Inc., USA
- Using Technology to Personalize Learning – Richard Culatta, Chief Innovation Officer, State of Rhode Island, USA
November 16-18, 2016 Las Vegas, Nevada
November 15, 2016 Las Vegas, Nevada
DevLearn is for training and learning professionals who are leading or engaged in their organizations’ use of learning technologies.
Adobe Learning Summit takes place during the conference and is in the same location – so you can participate in both.
Keynotes are focused on creativity and storytelling:
- The Magic of Storytelling and Learning, Penn Jillette (author, actor, magician, entertainer)
- Creativity and Problem-solving at Pixar, Tony DeRose, Research Lead, Pixar Animation Studios
- Adaptive Content, Context and Controversy, Karen McGrane, Managing Partner, Bond Art + Science
- Why New Realities Require New Narratives, Maxwell Plank, Technical Founder, Oculus Story Studio
Find out more about the concurrent sessions during the conference – https://www.elearningguild.com/DevLearn/sessions/?selection=doc.4412&event=498
If you want to attend the Adobe Learning Summit, registration details here: https://www.elearningguild.com/DevLearn/content/4453/devlearn-2016-conference–expo–adobe-summit-registration-information/
Schedule and Keynote information: https://www.elearningguild.com/DevLearn/content/4397/devlearn-2016-conference–expo–adobe-learning-summit/
November 13-16, 2016 fully online
7th annual Global Education Conference is held in Collaborate and brings together educators and innovators from around the world. The Global Education Network ” is a collaborative, inclusive, world-wide community initiative involving students, educators, and organizations at all levels. Our activities are designed to significantly increase opportunities for connecting classrooms while supporting cultural awareness and recognition of diversity and educational access for all. The event is free and takes place entirely online.”
COHERE2016: Education for All – Equity Issues and Online Education
Call for proposals extended to July 26, 2016
COHERE (Collaboration for Online Higher Education and Research) 2016 Conference available in two locations – Yukon College, Whitehorse, Yukon and Cape Breton University, Cape Breton
The theme for 2016 is equity issues and online learning. Keynote speakers: Dr. George Siemens, Director, Learning Innovation & Networked Knowledge Lab, Texas; and Dr. Gráinne Conole, Professor and founder of e4innovation.co.uk
September 6-8, 2016 University of Warwick
- Connecting data and analytics to enhance learning and teaching: exploring possibilities and making links.
- Collaboration and innovation in the open: taking risks, sharing lessons and the importance of open practice.
- Creating new learning, teaching and assessment opportunities: play, experiment, discover, embed to enhance learner experiences.
Jun 27-30, 2016 Vancouver, B.C. Sheraton Vancouver Wall Centre
Annual event. sponsored by Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
June 14-17, 2016 Budapest, Hungary
25th Anniversary Jubilee session
European Distance Education & e-Learning Network
In a networked society as ours, digital technology has touched and changed many aspects of day-to-day life Education does not stand untouched and we observe emerging and declining paradigms, changing expectations from society, our students now framed as consumers, with new and emerging types of informal learning experiences (take MOOCs for example) and all too frequently operating in unstable economic and policy environments.
How do we as a community of educators respond to these directions? What could it mean for learning and the changing socio-economic demands of society?
Keynote speakers: Tony Bates, Contact North | Lesley Wilson, European University Association | Antonio Teixeira, EDEN Pres. | Peter Arvai, Co-founder, Prezi | Susan Aldridge, Senior VP for Online Learning, Drexel University Online | Cristobal Cobo, Research Fellow, Oxford Internet Institute | Meliisa Highton, Director of Learning, Teaching & Web Services, University of Edinburgh | Paul Bacsich, Open Education Working Group, SeroHE | Danny Arati, Intel | Martine Reicherts, Director-General for Education & Culture,
Jun 12-16, 2016 Banff Centre for the Arts, Alberta Grant MacEwan University
Annual event. Based on Great Teachers Movement, David Gottshall 1997 – To learn more about the movement and get involved in the network, please go to: http://ngtm.net/
June 6-9, 2016 Burnaby, B.C. Delta Burnaby Hotel & Conference Centre
A celebration of teaching and learning in post secondary education – an amalgamation of existing events and a way to meet and collaborate with colleagues. Check out the half- or full-day workshops – https://festival.bccampus.ca/workshops/ OR the 30 and 50 minute, and 1.5 and 3 hour sessions – https://festival.bccampus.ca/sessions/.
- Open Education
- Educational Technology
- Scholarly Teaching and Learning
- General Teaching and Learning
May 30-June 2, 2016 Waterloo, Ontario
Sponsored by the Canadian Network for Innovation in Education (CNIE) and the Canadian Association for University Continuing Education (CAUCE), the conference will examine the forces exerted by technological change, societal demands, and ground-breaking research on the educational landscape. These forces are reshaping the way we create, access, and even think about learning.
- Learning Effectiveness and Innovation
- Learning Environments and Technology
- Continuous Learning and Professional Development
MADLaT Conference 2016
Open Resources, Open Learning and Open Minds
May 12 and 13, 2016 Red River College, Winnipeg, Alberta
Keynote speaker: Alec Couros
Themes to explore:
- pedagogical applications of teaching and learning
- recent research in educational technologies
- technology-related education policies and practices
- current and future trends in edtech
May 9-12, 2016 Elkhorn Resort and Spa, Riding Mountain National Park various institutions
Faculty from Red River College, University College of the North, Assiniboine Community College, and the Saskatchewan Institute of Applied Science and Technology (SIAST) attend and support this event but the event welcomes faculty from other institutions
IDEAS is an annual conference to study innovative teaching and leadership for K-12 and post-secondary education. Co-hosted by the Werklund School of Education and the Galileo Educational Network, this year’s keynote is by Keith Sawyer – “Educating for Innovation”. conference streams include:
- Design Thinking
- Indigenous Education
- STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics)
- Higher Education Teaching & Learning.
Global Learn 2016 Ireland Global Conference on Learning and Technology
April 28-29, 2016 Limerick, Ireland Limerick Institute of Technology, University of Limerick
An AACE-sponsored conference, the conference will explore new ways of learning. The Global Learn series is to advance innovation of learning and technology.
Final Call for Presentations – March 9, 2016
uLead 2016 – The Summit of Educational Leadership
April 24-27, 2016 Banff, Alberta Fairmont Banff Springs Hotelsponsored by the Council for School Leadership – a Specialist Council of the Alberta Teacher’s Association.
This year’s conference will be Part II of a 3 year series of uLead Summit events. At uLead 2015, the conference focused on the Global Education Reform Movement worldwide. This year’s focus is on exploring new narratives for education and school leadership emerging in the world.
April 21-23, 2016 Harrison Hot Springs, B.C. ABEABC Conference 2016
Registration closes April 15th!
- Dr. Linda Pardy, University of the Fraser Valley
- Linda L. Richards, Self-Counsel Press
Notice who else is on the presenters’ list? The Sylvias – Facilitating Learning Online
April 20-22, 2016 New Orleans, LA Joint Conference: Online Learning Consortium & MERLOT
Early Bird Registration ends February 29th
Conference Travel Information – stay at Sheraton New Orleans
The conference is intended to help educators challenge teaching and learning paradigms, reimagine the learning experience, and ideate on how disruptions in education today will shape the innovative classroom of tomorrow. Six questions to be explored:
- How do we develop learning environments that support interconnectedness between educators and students, and are equipped to quickly change processes and strategies, while simultaneously fostering and celebrating creativity and ingenuity?
- What new methods and technologies are most scalable in teaching and learning? Which are most prevalent and why?
- How has technology changed teaching and knowledge acquisition and how will we adjust current paradigms to ensure sound pedagogy as we innovate?
- How does technology in the classroom increase student engagement
- What is the best balance between analog and digitally enhanced teaching?
- What are common obstacles that educators face regarding technology? How can we avoid being technocentric while improving pedagogical practice with technology?
This conference will explore the borders that shape our options and the factors that inform our decisions at these borders, offering new insights about how we get to “there” – however we envision that goal – from “here.”
Registration: opens August 10, 2015; early bird pricing until November 30, 2015
Why attend? Attendees will gain cutting edge knowledge via informative presentations, practical workshops and create networks with others who research, promote and implement UDL and web accessibility in on-line or blended learning environments, in post-secondary education.
- Teaching and Using UDL in Online or Blended Learning
- AT/ICT (Assistive Technology and Informatio and Communication Technology)
- Tech Talk
November 18-20, 2015 The Fairmont Hotel, Vancouver, B.C. BCcampus and Lumen Learning
Registration: open now – early bird prices until September 30th, 2015
Why attend? You won’t get David Wiley this year but lots of interesting presenters like Amanda Coolidge from BCcampus and Brian Lamb/Alan Levine.
November 13, 2015 SFU Harbour Centre BCcampus
Call for Proposals: Sept. 20, 2015
Registration Opens: Aug 31, 2015 – Closes Oct 23, 2015
New this year: In addition to exploring scholarly inquiryprojects, participants will also have a chance to learn about student success stories using impactful teaching practices, as well as hear about short, rapid “research bites”.
Open Access Week
Oct 19-25, 2015
The 26th ICDE World Conference: Growing capacities for sustainable distance e-learning provision
October 14-16, 2015 Sun City (near Pretoria), South Africa hosted by University of South Africa
September 1, 2015 – standard registrations close!
Preliminary schedule: Conference at a glance